Single Leg Assisted Romanian Deadlift
- This exercise is purely a hip hinge motion.
- Position your feet directly below your hips, pointing straight forwards. Set the foam roller upright a few inches in front of your feet (see video) and hold the dumbbell in your right hand.
- Set your left foot on its toes a few inches behind your hips (see video).
- Do not think of getting the weight down to the floor: Push your hips back as far as possible, while keeping your spine and pelvis in their neutral position (i.e do not let your back round).
- Then explode back up until your hips lock out fully. Do not think about how low the weight goes. Think only about your hips and back.
- There’s no need to retract your shoulder blades, but don’t let them drift forwards either.
- Keep the weight close to your legs. It’s not uncommon to have it brush up against your leg throughout much of the movement.
- If you can see yourself from the side (like the video), your right arm will be hanging in line with the foam roller when the weight is near the floor.
- Focus on full hip lock-out and glute activation (posterior tilted pelvis) at the top and a maximum hamstring stretch at the bottom while keeping your spine in its natural arc (no spinal flexion).