Dumbbell Empty Cup Lateral Raise
- Bend over slightly with knees bent and keep your chest up the whole time.
- Grab the dumbbells with an overhand grip (thumbs facing toward each other when the dumbbells are in front of your legs).
- Keeping your arm nearly straight, raise your arms to your sides until the elbows are at shoulder height. Keep your elbows' height above or equal to your wrists.
- At the top of the movement the little finger side of your hands should be higher than the thumb side (i.e. a thumbs down, or "empty cup" grip).
- Keep your arms (nearly) straight: do not allow any extra bending of the elbow to occur during the exercise.
- Keep your chest up and bend over slightly forwards to protect your shoulders from impingement and maximize range of motion.
- The dumbbells should end up horizontally in line with your shoulders, not in front of them.