- Place your hands on the bar at shoulder width (palms facing toward you).
- Set yourself at the highest position possible. Your chin must completely clear the bar with your head in a neutral position i.e. eyes forward, chin not pointed to the ceiling.
- Pause briefly at the top.
- Now lower yourself back down under control until your arms fully straighten (‘dead hang’).
- Pause briefly at the bottom (while still holding your bodyweight) before climbing back up to the top position.
- If you cannot find a bench high enough to let you start at the highest position (as is the case for me in the video), jump up there. If you swing, just set your feet against the wall or machine to stop. You must be perfectly still before lowering.
- No hip movement (‘kipping’) is allowed. Keep your lower legs crossed behind your back.